Featured Post

One Stop for #Authors #Books and #Marketing

In April 2014, I mentioned the creative aspects behind the cover art for our novella, Genesis: Call Sign: Wrecking Crew Slice of Life .   ...

Video courtesy of @jcallenbooks

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Being An Author Isn't For the Faint-hearted

Alvin from Chip-wrecked
Is it me or does everyone expect to be an instant success at this self-publishing independent authoring thing. I've been doing it for the last couple years and I can honestly tell you it is not for the faint-hearted. It takes discipline and the courage to keep at it each and every day. There is no baby crying allowed. You don't like how the words fall together then change them. Stop worrying about what others think. If you know in your heart it is the best you can do to capture what your characters are trying to tell you then listen to them. Sure they may try to steer you into a whole new direction... let them. Unless they are like Alvin of the Chipmunks then maybe you need to keep a watchful eye and re-direct them from time to time. 

I'm not saying don't let others view your work and make suggestions. I'm saying that if you have a legitimate reason for what you are doing then let it stand. Take the lumps if they come but don't compromise the big picture. 

Once you have the book written, proofread, formatted for different versions, and published it, you can't stop there. You have to take it to places where it can be seen. I recently discovered Bublish as a new way for readers and authors to connect. It is definitely different. As usual, I had a bit of trouble... you see they currently only take e-pub files. I figured out a solution to my problem.  I remembered I have our book on Smashwords premium. So I downloaded our books as an e-pub and then went to the download section of my computer when it was time to attach them. 

Don't forget about Goodreads. Once upon a time, I think the books actually drifted over from Amazon but that wasn't the case with our two latest books. So I had to enter them manually. Most important thing to have here is an ISBN. That's where Smashwords was most helpful. When I published our books there I requested a free ISBN. Simple now when I need to find our ISBN for other things, I  go to the ISBN manager from our Dashboard. 

I'm still in the process of getting all our books out there to be seen. I also put together a website for Call Sign: Wrecking Crew (Wings of Eagles) and one for myself to feature all of our books, current and future. I even created a new Facebook fan pageI will also be at a book signing event with several of my fellow indie authors. So be looking out for the details on that.

Have a great one!

Lynn Hallbrooks
co-author to the Call Sign: Wrecking Crew series with David McKoy.
co-owner of Call Sign: Wrecking Crew LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment