Featured Post

One Stop for #Authors #Books and #Marketing

In April 2014, I mentioned the creative aspects behind the cover art for our novella, Genesis: Call Sign: Wrecking Crew Slice of Life .   ...

Video courtesy of @jcallenbooks

Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012


I met Marie Elaina Gordon on Amazon this week.  She happened into the Doug DePew (Military history/memoir) discussion board.  Doug and I were talking about some great news concerning his first book, SAT & BAF!: Memories of a Tower Rat.  After congratulating Doug, Marie shared a little bit about herself then asked if she could share a poem from when her first son joined the military. After Doug gave his seal of approval, Marie also shared some of her writing journey.  

"...I can only tell you how excited I was when a SCHOOL purchased "MY Grand-Mom Told Me.." for their earlier grades! A little girl posted a comment on Amazon thanking the author for helping her achieve her highest reading score of 104!!! That was ME Doug!! I kept writing and had a 2nd book in the series published!! A teacher had me come to her 90 students (grades 6 -8) and give a presentation on iambic pentameter - the format in which my stories are written. To be honest Doug, I never gave it any thought until then! She held up my book in front of all those young students and said:This is an excellent model for writing"!!!! I almost fell over Doug. Am I known?? NO - but my books are being read IN SCHOOLS!! My 3rd book (same format) is all about World War II - my best yet! Well Doug here goes... PLEASE ENJOY "MY TURN"

MY TURN

You're proud of your soldier, he's your son.
You can remember him on your knee.
You can remember the smiles - those moments of fun
As you held him and he giggled with glee.

You remember the very first step he took
You remember when he read his very first book.
You remember when you wiped his tears away
And how you tucked him in bed at the end of the day.

And of course you remember those days of fun
Halloween - Christmas - you remember every one.
The way his eyes opened wide from a present or two
The way he rushed to your arms saying, "I LOVE YOU!"

Then there were the days he would run to you
Shouting and crying, "I have a 'boo-boo'."
Softly, you'd say, "Don't be afraid,
This will help you heal, we'll use a band-aid."

And through out the years, you were always there
You offered support, you gave him care.
And no one would ever dare to try and harm him
Because they knew - if they did, with YOU they would reckon!

And today, it is you - who runs to him and cries. It is YOUR SON who is wiping the tears from your eyes.
He is dressed in a uniform and holding you tight,
Whispering words of comfort, "It will be alright."

Then he turns and walks away - it is time for him to depart.
His words and this moment FOREVER SEALED IN YOUR HEART.
One last time he stops and waves; saying, "Remember I'll love and miss you too.
But, NOW, you see, it's my turn, MY TURN TO PROTECT YOU!"


Marie Elaina Gordon
www.feelingsinc.com copyright 2003

I felt Marie's poem was very appropriate for Memorial Day, in part because of the "remember" theme. Not only that but Marie comes from a Military family. Her father was in World War II.  Marie and I bonded over the fact that we both have sons who started out to serve but had medical encounters that prevented them from staying in the military. 

I believe that Marie's experience with her first book might be inspirational to those just starting out on their writing journey. The main thing that I took away from it was that she has a poetic soul that "sings" to others. If you'd like to learn more about Marie Elaina Gordon, her work, and the things she cares about, then please feel free to visit Feelings Inc.  

I hope that you all have a safe and Happy Memorial Day. Don't forget what Billy Ray Cyrus shared with us, "All Gave Some, Some Gave All!"  So please thank those that have served, are serving, and the family of those that gave everything for your freedom.


Lynn Hallbrooks
co-author to David McKoy
co-owners of Call Sign Wrecking Crew, LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment